Drive financing mobilization and improved alignment
- Sherpa co-chairs: France, GPE and World Bank
- Technical Committee co-leads: GPE and World Bank
- Technical Committee members:
- GCE (Civil Society representative)
- Spain (Donor representative)
- Education Cannot Wait
- Education Commission (Secretariat of the Global Education Forum)
The core objective of Functional Area 3 is to support the coordination of global actors, mobilizing greater and more diversified levels of equitable and efficient financing to education, aimed at achieving impact at country level.
Improving the efficacy of domestic financing and international support can be transformative but requires coordinated, participatory and targeted actions at global level to positively impact country financing targets. The comparative advantage of global-level mechanisms such as the Global Cooperation Mechanism is to provide an overview of the opportunities where actors can better align resources to maximize gains, or gaps where actors can be better coordinated for concerted action in support of progress at country level.
Functional Area 3 partners are working together to identify where existing and additional resources can be combined to address identified gaps in the following 3 types of activities:
- Advocacy: Ensure that the case for education financing has a stronger voice in national and global discussions to mobilize greater domestic and international resources including the pursuit of alternative / innovative sources of finance.
- Technical support: Support the design and use of public goods for strengthening country capacities to devise sound education sector financing strategies that support the implementation of nationally agreed outcome targets in policy frameworks
- Data, Evidence and Knowledge: Promote better evidence and data on education financing and their use; seek cross-country peer learning opportunities.