SDG-Education 2030 Steering Committee Recommendations
- Governments are encouraged to undertake Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) and to strengthen the analysis of educational progress within these reviews. VNRs should highlight the accomplishments, but also acknowledge the lessons learnt and challenges countries are facing in achieving the SDG goals and targets.
- Governments must ensure an inclusive process of national review and reporting, providing space for engagement of key non-state partners such as civil society, women’s organizations, teacher and youth organizations.
- All countries are urged to use and build on global/thematic SDG4 indicators and benchmarks, as relevant, as reference frameworks to gauge educational progress within VNRs, taking into consideration agreed regional frameworks.
- Countries are encouraged to use data more effectively, particularly sex-disaggregated data, and to communicate data more transparently, especially from the national to more local levels [particularly in the context of data on refugees, displaced children and youth].
- Regional organizations and development partners are encouraged to strengthen their support to national capacity development in monitoring and reporting.
- Regional organizations and development partners should strengthen alignment between regional and global SDG monitoring frameworks, so as to avoid unnecessary duplication of efforts in country reporting.
- Governments and their partners are encouraged to use the High Level Political Forum (HLPF) process as a space for reporting progress towards SDG commitments and advocating for their interlinkages with human rights, as well as supporting the integration of a youth development lens within SDG review processes.
Read the full synthesis of decisions and recommendations of the 5th meeting of the Committee here in English, other languages available soon.